This quick and delicious 5 Minute Creamy & Spicy Avocado Sauce is packed with spunky flavor. It only requires 6 ingredients and is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and paleo!
why you need this sauce in your life!
If you’re like me, then you are always stocking up on sauces at the store. And while tasty, here’s the issue - it’s expensive! This is especially true when buying healthier or special diet sauces.
Enter this spicy avocado sauce! It’s cheap, easy to make at home, and can be enjoyed by just about anyone! Let me elaborate a little bit.
- Cheap: Store-bought sauces that meet the same dietary restrictions can cost anywhere from $6-$10 dollars a bottle. But, making this sauce at home works out to approximately $2 total.
- Easy to make: To make this, you just blend everything together! I love my blender.
- Anyone can eat it: Because this creamy avocado sauce is free of gluten and dairy and is paleo and vegan-friendly, everyone should be able to eat it! Except those who don’t like cilantro…
- Versatile: This avocado cream sauce can be used in so many ways. It can go from tacos as a sauce to a salad as a salad dressing!
ingredients and substitutions
All substitutions are a 1:1 substitute unless otherwise noted. See recipe card for quantities.
- Avocado: Of course, we need avocado for our avocado sauce! This gives it the creamy texture and adds in healthy fats, just try to use a ripe avocado.
- Mayo: Any mayo will work! Vegan, avocado oil, etc.
- Lime: A little bit of lime juice adds a great acidity to this sauce!
- Cilantro: Herbs are a must for a great sauce! And while some people don’t like cilantro (sorry folks…), I think it just belongs with avocado and lime juice! Just be sure to use fresh cilantro.
- Jalapeno: This is the spice! You could also use serrano peppers in place of jalapeno pepper. Other peppers like a small amount of habanero peppers might work, but the color would not be as green.
- Garlic: I like to use fresh minced garlic, but you may use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1.5 tablespoon of already minced garlic (store-bought kind that comes in a jar).
- Oil: We use avocado oil to help emulsify the sauce. You could use olive oil too.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
recipe testing notes
Throughout our testing of this spicy avocado sauce, we learned what worked and didn't work. Here are the key takeaways!
- Adding enough lime juice: Avocado has a very rich flavor, so in testing, we learned that this sauce needs a hefty dose of lime juice.
- Blending: Even though avocado is creamy, it’s still pretty stiff. To fully utilize the natural creaminess, the sauce has to be blended (a blender or food processor will work!).
how to make this - step by step
Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for the full spicy sauce recipe!
Step one: add it all to a blender
Add everything to the blender.
Expert tip! Avocados tend to bounce around in the blender, so you might have to hold it down while you blend with the center rod some blenders have. If you don’t have this, I'd recommend dicing the avocado before adding it to the blender.
Step two: blend!
Blend and enjoy!
watch how to make this - step by step
Anything! I love to pair this sauce with tacos for dinner or eggs for breakfast!
This sauce is made of jalapenos, avocado, and lime juice. Some spicy avocado sauces use mayo, sour cream, Greek yogurt, or other additions.
No, this avocado sauce doesn't turn brown because of the green from the cilantro and the lime juice that naturally keeps the avocado from oxidizing.
Simply store it in the fridge in an airtight container and that’s it! You may need to give it a stir before enjoying it again because the lime juice tends to separate.
avocado sauce pairings
Not sure how to serve this or what goes well with spicy avocado sauce? No worries, I’ve got you covered with these ideas!
- Tacos - like our bison tacos!
- Eggs - like this cottage cheese egg bake!
- Tortilla chips or veggies - use this as a dipping sauce!
- Steak - Like steak and eggs on the grill!
- Burrito Bowls
- On a salad with a spicy avocado dressing
This sauce keeps awesome in the fridge in a sealed container for up to a week. This makes a great meal prep as a sauce to use in a variety of ways throughout the week.
Jalapeños are the only pepper to have left Earth. They're so beloved that they were taken aboard the Columbia space shuttle in the 1980s. I sure can get behind that packing list! (source)
more avocado recipes
Did you try this and love it? Leave us a ⭐️ rating, we would love to hear from you!
Creamy & Spicy Avocado Sauce (5 Minutes and Super Easy!)
- ½ avocado
- ½ jalapeno deseeded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- Add everything to a blender.
- Blend and enjoy!